Young Man

Today, my only son enters his teens. Just yesterday he was a baby, now he's a young man! 

We named him Justice because we needed some in our lives. The day I came home from the hospital with him I received a call from my husband. He was going on the draft (being moved) because he would be going in front of the clemency board. Clemency... what? I didn't even know he'd put in for clemency, and neither did he. His mother had written a letter to the governor and that's how he got on the list. 

I knew that he was excited but there was also urgency in his voice. Usually, people have months to prepare for clemency. He would need letters of recommendation and other documents to prove his worthiness. I sprung into action, calling people to write letters. 

Once he was gone to Sing Sing, where he would see the board, I had time to process the grandeur of this opportunity. I imagined him coming home within months, just in time to help raise our son. I was elated when a parole officer visited our house. It felt so real! 

Governor Patterson did not grant any clemencies that year. And so, we dried our tears and moved on. Freedom felt so close, only to fade again. 

Thirteen years have passed and freedom approaches. My husband is due to come home in less than 7 months, just in time to help Justice become a man. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Freedom's Eve

The Final Countdown