Feeling Left behind

Ever felt like everyone is passing you by? You begin to wonder, "Am I moving too slow, or are others moving too fast?" That's the way I feel right now in my professional life. I have been in Education since the 1990s and have more recently been in a leadership role for the last four years. I love working in my city and with our kids. I can honestly say that children are easy, I just don't understand adults very much. So, here's my frustration... Like any other human being, I seek to grow. I have applied and interviewed for over 20 positions in the last four years looking for new professional opportunities.  I have been rejected over and over again. Here I am, in the slow lane on the walkway of life, seeing so many of my colleagues move forward.

This is not to say that I'm not happy for them, I am, I just feel left behind. Like the only person who didn't get asked to the prom, haha. I am thankful for where I am, for my school, and for my job, that is for sure. It's just disappointing to constantly get rejected, it begins to mess with my self-esteem. Maybe I'm not good enough, don't know enough, am not hardworking enough? Am I too old, too Puerto Rican, too experienced, too inexperienced, too loud, too passionate? I wish someone would tell me so I can work on myself. 

Frankly, I shouldn't be feeling this way. I just can't help it and I don't like it. I keep hearing negative self-talk in my mind and it's taking a toll on me. Today I'll try something different- I'm going to think about the positive things in my life... I have a great job, a good salary, am working on my doctorate, have raised two college graduates (soon to be three), everyone at home is healthy, have two sweet dogs and a goofy kitty, and I just bought a new car... it's so pretty! Oh, and of course... my husband comes home in 10 months!!! 

I am truly blessed, but why is my spirit so unsettled?  

I know that there's a calling that I must answer. The research I'm doing for my dissertation is surrounding Children of Incarcerated Parents and trauma-informed practices. My experience tells me that schools are sorely unaware and poorly equipped to deal with these children. That's why I want to bring light to this issue. I know in my heart that this is what I would love to do, to educate others about the stigma of incarceration and its impact on children/families. My path is blurry though, I'm anxious to get to work, and my patience is being tested. I must overcome my restlessness. 

So, I will continue to take deep breaths, keep looking at the positives because they outweigh the negatives, and carry on! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freedom's Eve

The Final Countdown

Young Man