A Broken Promise?

 With all of the insanity that continues to overcome our nation, no... our planet, today I choose to write about me. I know, it may sound selfish but I needed to escape for just a few minutes and tell a short story about a promise I broke. 

It was July 10, 2020, aka, my birthday. Daughter #1 wanted to do something special for me. She decided to treat me to a salon visit, begging me to get a cute, shorter style. "Cut my hair?," I said, "but I made a promise that I wouldn't cut it until your dad got home!" She insisted and I agreed to "just a trim." 

Salon visit day came, my daughter asked, "Ma, so what haircut are you gonna get?" I responded, "A trim, remember?" She didn't like my answer, she wanted a whole different me coming home that day. I understood, what daughter doesn't want to beautify her mother? 

I put on my mask, walked into the salon and was greeted by the owner, who would be my stylist (salons were open at very low capacity). "So, what are we having done today?," she cheerfully asked. Then she commented on the length of my hair. "Yeah, I've been growing it for about five years," I responded. But being surrounded by pictures of beautiful women with gorgeous hair made me re-think my answer. "I'm not sure," I said, then I thought, "what did I just do?"

I was positive that I wanted to cover my grays, so she suggested a semi-permanent color. OK, now back to the cut question. The stylist held my hair in a ponytail and said, "you know this is enough hair to donate, it can help someone who can't grow their own." I didn't even have to think about it, "let's do it!"



 

She secured my hair into several ponytails and began to cut. I felt so good, too good! I knew I was breaking a promise I'd made. And I thought about the fact that hair or no hair, my vow to be there when my husband walks free is still good. Then I reflected on the many people losing their lives to COVID-19 and that we're not really promised tomorrow. Man, those are heavy thoughts to have in a beauty salon chair. 

I walked away that warm July day with a new hairdo, a bag full of hair and a heart full of pride. It was the first time I had ever donated hair, so I researched where to send it. I chose Children With  Hair Loss. I was so happy when I finally sent the envelope with my donation. 

So, since I'd gone down the rabbit hole already, in the spring I visited  the salon again. This time I wanted to go 'au natural' and expose my wisdom highlights. Now they're on full display, for the world to see. I seem to have overcome another fear- getting old! 

We'll discuss that later, I promise :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freedom's Eve

The Final Countdown

Young Man